About your Stay
PRIOR TO ADMISSION
Provide your doctor with any medical information relevant to your treatment e.g. xrays, diagnosis, test results etc so that they can be assessed.
Bring with you any medicines you are taking and inform your doctor of any non-prescribed medication that you have taken in the last three months, e.g. general use, homeopathic or herbal medicines etc.
THE DAY BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
You may eat freely, however prefer a light dinner the evening before surgery and sleep as early as possible.
It is best to refrain from smoking for 1 day prior to surgery, to reduce the risks of respiratory infections.
Please ensure you are at the hospital at least half an hour prior to your procedure, in order to complete any necessary paperwork and to be directed to your room.
On the day of admission to the Hippocrateon you should bring:
- Identity card or passport
- A detailed catalogue of all medication you are taking. Do not forget to inform your doctor if you are taking aspirin, the contraceptive pill or any other similar medicines.
- If you are covered by a Private Medical Insurance Company, please present your membership card or other relevant insurance documents.
- Cash, personal cheque or credit card to settle any pre-payment, as required and dependent on your treatment The Patient Services Department will inform you the exact amount required, depending also on your chosen type of room.
- Pyjamas, a robe, non-slip slippers, glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids, dentures, personal hygiene items, toothbrush, toothpaste, wash sponge, hairbrush.
- Avoid bringing valuable items with you.
- Any dentures, contact lenses and jewellery must be removed. Avoid painted nails.
DURING YOUR STAY
- The Hippocrateon Hospital offers single and double rooms as well as suites. All rooms have their own bathroom, television, telephone and internet access.
- Hospital beds are narrower and higher than residential beds, so please take care when lying on these. If safety guards have been added, these are for your protection. Do not remove them, as they are there to avoid accidents. Please note that the use of heated blankets is prohibited.
- During your stay you will be provided with breakfast, lunch and dinner and various refreshments.
- If you or the patient next to you requires assistance, call for help by pressing the emergency button.
- Do not stray from your ward without informing the nursing team.
- In case of emergency, follow the instructions of staff.
- The visiting hours are as follows:
Hospital Rooms: 10:00-13:00, 16:00-21:00
Intensive Care Unit : 11:00-12:30, 17:00-19:00
If any of your relatives or friends has a cold or other infectious illness, please ask them not to visit
- Relatives are kindly asked to transfer patients’ plants to the home to avoid germs. If flowers are in a vase, please refrain from pouring their water into basins.
- Smoking is strictly prohibited in all areas of the hospital.
- Parking spaces are available in Mahaira Street and behind the hospital building.
- Children under 10 years may not visit patients in the hospital.
BEFORE BEING DISCHARGED
On the day of your departure from the Hippocrateon, please ensure:
- That you have your discharge papers.
- That you request any medical paperwork from the Nursing Supervisor that you must take with you.
- That you have discussed next steps to be followed after your departure, with the doctor treating you.
- That you return any equipment you have been using.
- If you require transfer by ambulance (with one person accompanying you only) that you notify the Nursing Supervisor well in advance to make all necessary arrangements and for any other information.
- That you settle your bill with the Patient Services Department. Payment can be made in cash, by personal cheque or by credit card.